Northallerton Ringers




The Bells of All Saints' Church, Northallerton. 

 
   

 

 BELL

FOUNDER

 DATE

            INSCRIPTION    

WEIGHT
cwt-qtr-lb 

 Treble

John Taylor & Co. 

 1991

 
 
TAYLOR LOUGHBOROUGH
1991


4-1-10 

 2

John Taylor & Co. 

 1991

THE GIFT OF ELEANOR WALBURN
TAYLOR LOUGHBOROUGH
1991

4-1-2 

 3

John Taylor & Co. 

 1962

CAST BY JOHN WARNER & SON LONDON 1871
TAYLOR LOUGHBORO
RECAST 1962

4-2-3

 
4

John Taylor & Co. 

 1962

 RECAST BY JOHN WARNER & SONS LTD
 LONDON 1898
TAYLOR LOUGHBORO
AGAIN RECAST 1962
 

4-3-24 

 5

John Taylor & Co. 

 1962

JESUS BEE OUR SPEED 1656
RECAST BY
JOHN WARNER & SONS LTD
LONDON 1898
AGAIN RECAST 1962
TAYLOR LOUGHBORO

 5-1-7

 6

John Taylor & Co. 

1962 

ALL GLORI BEE TO GOD ON HEE 1656
RECAST BY JOHN WARNER & SONS LONDON 1871
REVD TW MERCER MA VICAR
AGAIN RECAST 1962
TAYLOR LOUGHBORO

6-1-19 

 7

John Taylor & Co. 

 1962

 GOD SAVE HIS CHURCH 1656
RECAST BY JOHN WARNER & SONS LTD
LONDON 1898
S MCKINNON MA BD VICAR
AGAIN RECAST 1962
TAYLOR LOUGHBORO

8-0-12 

 8

John Taylor & Co. 

1962 

 IN MULTIS ANNIS RESONET CAMPANA JOHANNIS
THE MOUNT GRACE BELL
RECAST IN 1802 AND AGAIN IN 1871 BY
J WARNER & SONS LONDON
REVD TW MERCER M.A. VICAR
AGAIN RECAST 1962
TAYLOR LOUGHBORO
 

 9-2-22

 9

 John Taylor & Co.

 1962


THOMAS MEARS OF LONDON FECIT 1802
TAYLOR LOUGHBORO
RECAST 1962

12-2-22 

 Tenor

 
John Taylor & Co
.

 1962

 T. MEARS OF LONDON FECIT 1827
PEAL OF 8 BELLS RECAST 1961-2
S.S. THISTLEWOOD MA VICAR
TAYLOR LOUGHBORO 

17-2-15
in E 



Early records of the origin and number of bells are scanty, but from inscriptions on the bells themselves, together with research in the County Record Office, it appears that from 1687 to 1764 the church had a ring of 4 bells. A fifth bell was added in 1764. Records confirm that in 1791 there were five bells and a good clock.
 
A further bell was added in 1802 to make a ring of 6.
In 1871 two new bells were added to the old six in an attempt to produce a full octave.  The result was not very satisfactory since it is recorded that all the bells were out of tune with each other! The discordant notes were certainly not appreciated because 27 years later, in 1898, some of the bells were recast and others retuned to form a better ring. At the same time the old wooden bellframe was repaired.
 
 The next major work took place between the two World  Wars, when the bells had their plain bearings replaced with ball bearings so making the job of ringing and maintaining them far less strenuous.
By the late 1950's the wooden frame and its fittings were showing signs of decay and old age. The result was that ringing the bells had become difficult and sometimes even hazardous for the ringers.
 
It was about this time that a large scale restoration of All Saints took place and it was decided that, because of their poor state of repair, the bells should be included in this.
The bells were removed from the tower in 1961 and taken to Taylor's Bellfoundry at Loughborough where, in 1962, they were all recast,  returned to the tower, and rehung in a modern steel frame.
The inscriptions from the old bells were preserved on the new ring.
 
In 1991 the local band undertook the provision of two new Taylor bells, so producing the glorious ring of ten we hear today.




 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 




 


 



 



 
 
 
 






Community Web Kit provided free by BT